I began photography in 2001 after acquiring a Mamiya 7II and 65mm Sekor lens. This is a medium format film camera that shoots 120 or 220 film. The lenses for this camera are stellar and the image quality rivals 4x5 film.
I've since owned several cameras including several Arca Swiss Field 4x5's, Mamiya RZ67, and Contax 645. I first used the Contax 645 with film then acquired a Kodak DCS Pro Back to fit the Contax. This was only a 16 megapixel back but one of the first available for this camer. I later upgraded to a Leaf Aptus 75S which had 33 megapixels.
Now I use the Fujifilm GFX-50R, a 50 megapixel CMOS sensor medium format digital camera.
These cameras all produce high quality images and it's hard to pick a favorite, but the GFX-50R is simply amazing.
I have also begun using the iPhone 12 Pro Max which allows saving an image as a DNG so it can be processed in Capture One. I will limit the print size to 18x24 to maintain superb print quality.
All my film images have been drum scanned for high resolution, then processed in Photoshop to bring back the light and contrast. Raw scans are pretty flat and need considerable work to rescue the light.
Digital images are processed in Capture One Pro, then finished off in Photoshop with the same goal in mind.
I have my prints produced by a custom lab because they do it very well and have the specialized equipment to produce acrylic face mounts and dye sublimation metal prints.
My work can be seen in person at several galleries in the Southwestern US: There is nothing like seeing them in person, the website images don't really do the work justice.
- Hi-Desert Cultural Center in Yucca Valley, California
- Steven Baumbach Gallery in Palm Springs, California
- Desert Art Center in Palm Springs, California.
- Sedona Arts Center in Sedona, Arizona
- JTAG in Joshua Tree, California
- Hwy 62 Art Tours. Open all three weekends in October. 8-9, 15-16, and 22-23. 10am - 5 pm. Studio #77.
- My home gallery in Yucca Valley, California is open by appointment as well. I have a large inventory of acrylic face mounts, dye sublimation metal prints, canvas wraps, and 16x20 matted prints available for lower than gallery prices. Many more pieces are available than shown here. Email or call 760-913-0588 to schedule an appointment.
- Online sales. See my Inventory page for available pieces. Satisfaction guaranteed or a full refund.