I began photography in 2001 after acquiring a Mamiya 7II and 65mm Sekor lens. This is a medium format film camera that shoots 120 or 220 film. The lenses for this camera are stellar and the image quality rivals 4x5 film.
I've since owned several cameras including several Arca Swiss Field 4x5's, Mamiya RZ67, and Contax 645. I first used the Contax 645 with film then acquired a Kodak DCS Pro Back to fit the Contax. This was only a 16 megapixel back but one of the first available for this camer. I later upgraded to a Leaf Aptus 75S which had 33 megapixels.
Now I use the Nikon D850 which is much superior to any of the aforementioned and weighs in at 45 megapixels, The bottom line is that cameras have improved so much in the last ten years, one does not really need medium format to produce large prints.
These cameras all produce high quality images and it's hard to pick a favorite, but the D850 is simply amazing.
All my film images have been drum scanned for high resolution, then processed in Photoshop to bring back the light and contrast. Raw scans are pretty flat and need considerable work to rescue the light.
Digital images are processed in Capture One Pro, then finished off in Photoshop with the same goal in mind.
I have my prints produced by a custom lab because they do it very well and have the specialized equipment to produce acrylic face mounts and dye sublimation metal prints.
My work can be seen in person at several galleries in the California Desert area: There is nothing like seeing it in person, the website images don't really do the work justice.
- Borrego Art Institute in Borrego Springs, California. I show there about half the year when the themes fit my work.
- Desert Art Center in Palm Springs, California. I show there nearly year around except in the hot summer months when the gallery closes.
- Yucca Valley Visual & Performing Arts Center, Yucca Valley, California. I am represented year around in their Artists of the High Desert exhibition space.
- Hwy 62 Open Studio Tours. My home in Yucca Valley, California will be open three weekends in October. I will have a large inventory of acrylic face mounts, dye sublimation metal prints, canvas wraps, and 16x20 matted prints available for lower than gallery prices.
- Online sales. See my Inventory page for available pieces. Satisfaction guaranteed or a full refund.